Friday, August 22, 2008

Mouse Radar


I hate to admit this but my home is infested with mice. Yes. Before you shriek in horror, it’s mice. Not rats. I have no idea where they came from but they first appear about a few months ago and since then, i’ve been stuffing every nooks and crannies i can see and boarding up any source i can think of. Shower drainage, dishwasher pipes, cabinet holes, you name it, i have filled it up with some kind of plaster, tape or newspaper.

So terrified was I of mice that since then, I’ve developed a mouse radar. I can hear the scurrying of mice even when I’m not in the room and i can smell the presence of mice even if i didn’t see one.

Today, while my husband was teaching the twins their alphabets, I took the spare time to be a couch potato. I love So You Think You Can Dance and was quietly pleased that I did not have any toddlers bothering me for a few minutes. It was then I heard the sound.

“Hey? I think I heard a mouse. It is in the couch.” I reported to my husband.

Of course, ever the sceptic of the power of my mouse radar, he simply tossed the idea by saying that “mice do not keep near humans”.

Unsure if I was indignant that he didn’t believe me or if I was feeling reassured by his claim, I started tossing the cushions off the couch. A shadow. Darting. A mouse!

“AAAEEEEIIIIIIII!” I screamed as I threw the cushions into the air and hurdled towards the top of the dining table. Under my accusing stare, my husband made his way towards the couch, motioning me to find a “weapon”. Although I do wanted to dispose of the rodent, but I wasn’t prepared to contaminate my "stuff". I gave him an unwanted plastic soup ladle. “Can’t you get something bigger?” as he spotted the escaping mouse and tried to whack it with the tiny ladle. I gave him the toy broom.

Unafraid and curious, the twins started running towards the toy box and emptied it onto the floor. Laughing and throwing, they banged the floor with their wooden walker sticks. I have no idea if it was the fact that the mouse had ran away or the fact that my once tidy living room was now littered with a mountain of toys, but I was starting to feel queasy. Feeling sorry, my poor husband tried again in vain to find the mouse but to no avail.

Although, he didn’t “save” us from the rodent but he did vacuumed the floor and helped the kids pack up the room while I stood, eyes darting, on the kitchen chair. I need to get a mouse trap tomorrow. Pronto.

No comments: