Saturday, August 23, 2008

Rearranging Quirk


One of my quirks which is still unknown to my family is that I like to rearrange furniture. Everyone knows I like to paint rooms on a whim and has since now accepted the idea that our study room will always remain a bright tangerine orange. It sounds awful but I read that orange helps a person to stay alert and focus while working. What better place to “orange” than the study room? Doesn’t that sound more logical now?

It started as a thought. Gosh, this room needs a better use of space.

“Jeslyn and Janesa? What do you think if mommy move this couch over there?” I asked innocently.

“No.”

“But don’t you think it will be better if we move your play table here with all your toys? You will have more space to play?” I persisted.

“No.”

Unfazed by the lack of enthusiasm for my desire to make the play room “a better place”, I started pushing the couch with the girls sitting on it. Though the play room is not tiny, but it was still cluttered by huge plastic toys so I have to move those out of the way too. Then I have to drag the two huge ottomans towards the other end of the room. Clear up all the strewn toys on the floor. Vacuum and mopped. Finally, I pushed the couch towards the other end of the room.

Fed the girls lunch and finally sat down to inspect my design. Oh dear, it was too close to the TV. I didn’t realise that the location of the sliding door makes it impossible for me to move the couch further away from the television. “Don’t you think it’s too close to the TV?” I asked the girls rhetorically.

“No.” They muttered as they strained their neck to the side, trying to watch the Saturday cartoon.

Sighing, I started to push the couch again towards the back of the room to face the TV. But before I did that, I had to unplug the stereo, wound up all the loose wires and carry a 15 kg bass boom box away from the site. Huffing and puffing under the sheer weight of the box, I gestured the girls to move away from the couch with my head. Damn Nintendo, the girls stayed on the couch, unmoved. When I finally placed the couch at the back of the room, I have forgotten how long the couch was and it stuck slightly across the doorway, threatening to give someone a nasty hip bruise if they walk carelessly into the room.

“Here?” I asked again. Silent.

Too tired to move the couch again, i tried to rewire the stereo before my husband realised what i did. The last time i unplugged his wiring, he threw a fit. Guess what? The wiring was too short! There is no way I can replug the stereo unless i move it back where it was.

Three hours later, tired and defeated, I moved the couch back to EXACTLY where it once was. The girls were right afterall... sometimes it pays to listen to the voice of children.

No comments: